Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Listed

So what's next? Make lists! Contrary to popular belief, I actually deal well with pressure. I just need to cover the bases first and try to anticipate the stresses that are coming. And to do this, I list. Grocery lists, house cleaning lists, things to do on the weekend lists, packing lists...I love them. It's the only way I know how to neatly organize all the thoughts flying around in my head.

1. Timeline  There are numerous deadlines we need to set for ourselves to figure out how everything is going to come together. And with so many upcoming band gigs and other commitments, it's absolutely necessary we keep an up to date list of all the things we have going on. Booking flights, booking the hostel for our first few weeks…there's a lot to do and many people to see before September.

2. Furniture  We have had generous offers from both sets of parents and friends with basements to keep all of our possessions for the year. So this list will outline all the pieces of furniture we have and of course boxes. Then depending on space, we'll assign a home for everything.

3. Things to Buy  There are certain things we're going to need to have before we go. Like shoes. We both desperately need really good shoes or hiking boots for this trip. And then there's rain coats and umbrellas and things we use every day that we're used to and may not be able to get in the UK. Like deodorant, my make up, and soap from The Beehive. Can't do without those!

4. Packing the House  Oh man, this is going to be a doozie. The plan is to have a very accurate and very specific plan to the packing. Ideally, on every box, there will be a very detailed table of contents and a number. These numbers will then be added to a master spreadsheet that will outline where everything is packed. Not only will this make moving into a new place when we come home easier, if we need something shipped over while we're away we can tell whoever's looking exactly which box to look in. The boxes will all hopefully be the same size too since I can buy them from work. Just can’t buy them yet…they don’t know I need them!

5. Packing the Backpacks  One of the best parts of travelling is planning what to take. I love this kind of list! I’m a little worried about having to condense a whole year’s wardrobe, including a warm coat, into one – 20kg backpack each. We may have to just bite the bullet and pay the extra fee to be able to bring a large suitcase too. At least the winter there isn’t as bad as here and we won’t need quite as much heavy gear. I hope!

6. Putting Affairs in Order  Okay, so that sounds a little gloomy. But we’ll need to give notice at the house and at work, cancel Shaw and cell phones, deal with bank accounts, sell the cars, forward the mail…that kind of stuff. And there’s a lot of it! We also need to line up some form of health care for while we’re there and I have to renew my driver’s license because it will expire next April.

7. When We Get There  This is a fun one – what our first steps are going to be when we arrive in Glasgow. I’d like to have an idea of a few areas to visit to find a flat and jobs, and maybe names of people we are looking up for friends back home. And we need to find Glasgow Green and the National Piping Centre right away too.

8. Travel!  This is the most important one I think. One of the biggest reasons for going to Scotland to live and work for a year is to get to see the country and as many other places we can in Europe too. The idea of just picking a city and hopping on a train or a cheap flight to spend a weekend in say…Italy, is so, so cool. I think we both have ideas of places we’d like to see while we’re there so a list is a good place to start.

I know there’s more. I’m sure by tomorrow I’ll think of something else I need to write down and list. But for right now, eight is dauntingly enough. Thank goodness for Excel on the computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment