Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Canada Has Landed

Dear blog readers: I’m still here! Please don’t think I’ve abandoned you. Life has been so hectic lately and we’ve been blessed to have spent so much time with Canadian visitors. First, back on May 19th, my good friend Sheena and her mom Gwen arrived for their 10 day visit. That was unfortunately the same day Brandon and I both played at the Scottish Championships in Dumbarton so we couldn’t meet them at the airport, but we welcomed them with a quick visit to their hotel room as soon as we were back in town.


Allow me to add a quick side note on the Scottish Championships. This was the first of six major competitions in the pipe band season. Brandon’s band placed 8th in grade 1 and my band placed 2nd in grade 3a. We both played at relatively the same time on different fields so we weren‘t able to watch each other which I was disappointed about, especially since Brandon played in the front rank. It was quite the day for him - playing on and standing next to some of his piping heroes.


Right. Back to the visitors from the west. Sheena and Gwen were such gracious visitors. First of all, they came bearing a Shopper’s Drug Mart bag filled with all sorts of Canadian delicacies - Clamato juice, dill pickle chips and Skor bar bites! They also brought Brandon Old Spice deodorant which I know sounds silly, but that was his brand for years and he missed it terribly. When it came time to start being tourists, they allowed me to keep them so busy every day and took all of my advice on what they should see and do. I think I hurried them along too much some days and I’m sure they fell into bed most nights, but we saw some really amazing stuff together. I took them to all the majors in the city of course including two of my favourites, Craigmillar Castle and the Royal Yacht. We were disappointed that Holyrood was closed for the week due to the Lord High Commissioner staying in the palace, but we took pictures of the courtyard through the gates and wandered through the shop anyway. We also went out to Tantallon Castle and North Berwick which was a really nice day. We were so lucky to have one of the best weeks of sunshiny weather while they were here and Sheena and I wandered along the beach there collecting sea glass and shells, all the while watching a group of little kids chase the waves on the shore.


One of the best days we shared while they were here was our Hairy Coo Adventures tour. We boarded the bright orange bus named Dolly early in the morning and headed west and north towards the highlands. We passed under Stirling Castle and then out through the Montieth area where we stopped at one of Scotland’s only lakes - not to be confused with lochs of which there are thousands. We drove through some beautiful scenery and saw some gorgeous parts of what I am calling the lower highlands. We stopped to feed and photograph a little family of hairy hieland coos (that’s highland cows if you’re speaking Canadian) and heard all sorts of great historical stories from our driver/guide Donald. It was a really awesome day and I am so grateful that Sheena and Gwen waited to take the tour until I could come with them.


On the final day of their visit, Sheena took part in the Edinburgh Marathon Festival. She ran the 5K race that took her around Arthur’s Seat in Holyrood Park. I had assured Sheena that I didn’t think the route would be all that difficult and that I didn’t think that part of the park was all that hilly. But as Gwen and I waited at the finish line the announcers kept repeating how this was one of the hardest 5K’s to run because most of it was up hill. I felt so bad! But when Sheena came across the line she was all smiles and looked amazing. I even got a little teary-eyed and was so proud of her! I just wish I’d thought of it sooner and registered to do the run as well.


I was sad to bid them farewell that Saturday evening. But they were on their way home bearing some amazing gifts for their family and friends and to much deserved days off before they had to head back to work. I haven’t asked, but I hope their feet and knees have recovered from all the up hill walking I made them do!


Five days after Sheena and Gwen flew away, Jenn arrived! I went to Glasgow on the train to pick her up at the airport there and right away put her to work being a tourist. We stored her suitcase at the train station and made our way to the cathedral. It’s still by far one of my favourite churches here in Scotland and I think it was the perfect way to introduce Jen to some the architecture she was about to see. We spent lots of time there and I think Jenn was rather awestruck by the whole place. We walked around in the Necropolis a bit checking out all the really old monuments and gravestones and then headed to the mall where we had lunch and window shopped a bit before touring the city chambers. I thought it was another great place for Jenn to see because of the marble staircases and interesting angles all over the place.


Back to the train station and home to Edinburgh we went. I made potato and leek soup for supper and we just spent the evening catching up…and re-packing for our trip the next day to Paris! But that adventure deserves it’s own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment