Thursday, January 12, 2012

Empty Flat

Well, apparently I’m bad at posting. Sorry! Let me catch up. New Year’s Eve was a lot of fun. Graham and I met Brandon in the lounge of the Radisson when he was finished work and we made a much deserved stop at The Clam Shell for chips, cheese and gravy. We continued up the Royal Mile to find our spot for firework watching. We had hoped we might be able to get down onto the Mound which is a street that runs down below the castle and would give us a really good view. But the Mound was closed off due to the big party that was going on in the gardens. Instead we claimed our bit of street not far back from the barricade blocking the castle esplanade. We had to wait about twenty minutes and we were watching the time, but all of a sudden the fireworks started. We were a bit disappointed to not have taken part in a countdown, but the fireworks were awesome. It was so cool to see the castle underneath them and feel the crowd all around.
In the Clam Shell chippy

Mmmmm...

This is from our spot for the fireworks

They were over much too fast but we slowly made our way back down the hill at the same time as all the people in the gardens were getting out of the parties. What was a nearly deserted Royal Mile turned into quite the party. There was a guy playing bag pipes in front of one building and when he stopped to take a break Brandon asked if he could play a tune. So he did what he does best and soon everyone all around was dancing and having a great time. We eventually found a pub that wasn’t full or closed and we eventually fought our way to the bar for a drink. Graham was up for partying hard but Brandon was exhausted after just working a seriously busy ten hour day and I was ready for bed so we made our way back to the flat. In the pub just around the corner from us we heard a piper. That’s odd for this pub so the boys went in to check it out while I continued home. Brandon came in about twenty minutes later but Graham stayed out for a few more hours. I heard him come in but I have no idea what time it was!
Brandon playing for a very happy crowd!

We tried to keep Graham busy for the rest of his stay. He and Brandon went to Glasgow one day, he climbed the steps up to the top of the Scott Monument, went to Edinburgh Castle twice, he and Brandon went on a Highland and Loch Ness tour, he and I went to Craigmillar Castle and also to Stirling to see the Wallace Monument and the castle there, he toured Holyrood Palace, and the three of us had an amazing dinner at the Witchery which was a gift from Brandon and Graham’s mom and dad. I really hope he had a great time and that he felt welcome here and that he saw everything he wanted to. The flat feels much emptier now and we feel like we’re all of a sudden back to real life.  
Now about the Witchery dinner. What an awesome place. It’s located in a 16th century building right up close to the castle. It’s decorated with gorgeous painted ceilings, leather seats, antique everything, and lit by nearly complete candlelight. The tables are set when you arrive with white napkins tied in red velvet ribbon and you just feel like you’re in a very elite and special place. We had quite the spread which included things like steak tartar, foie gras, pigeon, red deer, oysters, prawns, wine, port, scotch, crème brulee, cheese and the very sought after import – Yukon Gold potatoes. It was a great experience and I think I speak for my dinner companions when I say a huge thank you for the gift. Plus, I got to wear my new shoes which made the night even sweeter.
So now we’re in January and we have to start thinking about bills and things again. Boo. Brandon’s starting to amp up his practicing schedule as the push to the spring and summer competitions is going to start very soon. As am I since my band is aiming to win the grade three pool at World’s. I’m also in job search mode again which is not going all that well so far. I’ve been kept on at Paperchase but only on a four hour per week contract. So far I’m getting a minimum of twelve hours, but that’s not nearly enough. I love the job and the people there so I’m so happy to stay, but I just wish it was more full time.
And that’s got us caught up again. I’m still writing my Scottish Life posts so watch for more in the (hopefully) near future. I’m off now to clean Simon Fish’s tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment