Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hogmanay

Today is New Year’s Eve, also known as Hogmanay here in Edinburgh. There are all sorts of events happening and it all began yesterday with the Torchlight Procession. When I read about it online, I kind of assumed that the torches they were talking about would be flashlights or maybe glow sticks. But as it turned out, for a 7 Pound donation to a local charity, we were given a stick, about three feet in length, that was wrapped in wax coated fabric. We arrived on the High Street at about 6pm and waited with a massive crowd of people for the event to begin. It took a while, but eventually the fire started to make its way back to us. People were passing the flame back and back and everyone was lighting their torch from the person in front of them. And then we started to walk.
We walked from St. Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile to the base of Calton Hill which is about a mile, carrying our lit torches. There was a light show and fireworks in the park at the top of the hill, but because there were so many people (the website said to expect 20,000) we weren’t able to get close to the gates. But we could still see the fireworks which was a good ending to our walk.
It was such a great experience to be a part of such a huge crowd of people just having fun. We couldn’t get over how there were so many people in such a tight, confined space walking around with open fire. And kids too. That would never happen in Calgary! But it was calm, there weren’t any people being stupid, and we didn’t see anyone getting into or starting trouble. It was another one of those moments where Brandon and I looked at each other and said, “Wow…can you believe we’re here and doing this?!” And I think it was a great thing for Graham to do as a tourist here too.
Tonight, it’s New Year’s Eve and this is a night that is huge in Edinburgh. There is a street party with multiple stages set up for concerts, there is a mini film festival, a ceilidh, and a massive fireworks display fired off from the castle at midnight. Tickets for the party and all the concerts were only 15 Pounds, but they close all the entry gates at 11 – and Brandon is working till 11. But luckily, most of the festivities are happening on Princes Street and not the Mile. So Graham and I are going to meet Brandon when he’s done and we’re going to try to get as close to the castle as we can to watch the fireworks.
I’m a little nervous about the number of people there will be out and about. Graham and I spent a few hours this afternoon at the castle wandering around and even at 4:00 when we were on our way back to the flat, there were way more people on the Mile than I’ve seen yet. The website says to come and party with 80,000 of your closest friends and if last night was any indication, I have no doubt there will be that many. I just hope we actually find Brandon! I’ll post photos and a play by play of what the night was like tomorrow.
When I look back at 2011 I can’t help but think that it’s been such an amazing year. I feel like I’ve grown so much and actually figured out more about myself than I’ve ever known before. I found out that I am able to accept more change than I thought I could, I now know that challenge really does make you stronger, and I learned that facing life with a partner is the very best feeling in the world. I can’t wait to see what 2012 has to bring.
Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment