Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Get ready...Get set...

Today is an important day. Today is our last day in Canada. Well, at least for a while!

I know it's been too long since there was a new post, sorry about that! Since I last wrote so, so much has happened. My final day of work came and went with little fanfare, only a few tears, but with many good wishes and a gift that was unexpected and so welcome. It was a perfect last day. Brandon also finished up work on a good note and received a card and gift from some co-workers that was super thoughtful. On the September long weekend we both had band events - Brandon went to California to play in Pleasanton and I played at the Calgary and Canmore games. And after that was all done, it was down to work. We didn't take even a single day to do nothing and relish in our unemployed status! Every day we were up before eight to begin packing and cleaning and finishing up at our house. It paid off though since we were out of the house a day early and got our full damage deposit back!

So, as of September 14th we've been homeless. Thank goodness for family! We spent four days in Innisfail with my parents and now we're in Calgary with Brandon's parents. It's been difficult to be living out of our backpacks, but good practice for the weeks to come.

And oh the backpacks. They both weigh in at roughly 18kg. Under the limit for the airplane! I had a little bit of a melt down the night of my first attempt at packing. I realize now that I was a little overzealous in my expectations of the backpack's capacity. Well, more than a little. But how do you make the choice of what you're going to wear for a year? It was hard to say the least.

So today. The cars aren't sold yet and I'm sure we're forgetting to do something, but at this point I just want to get the show on the road. I've been so happy to have had this week with our families, but I want to go. I want to get to London and see what we're going to see and I want to get to Glasgow and have our own space in the hostel. And I can't wait to find a flat and be able to post pictures of where we're calling home. I'm sad and a little apprehensive about a few different things, and worried about how it's going to feel to say goodbye to the most important people tomorrow. Everyone keeps asking if we're excited, and we are for sure. But I think rather than excited, a more appropriate word for me at the moment would be ready. I'm just ready for this. I'm not stressed about the unknown, I'm not worried that we're leaving things a little open ended here in terms of cars and such. I'm just ready for this. And to be completely honest, I'm surprised and so proud of myself for saying - and being - in this frame of mind.

In 24 hours, we will no longer live in Canada.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time over there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you are feeling READY!! I cannot wait to follow along, and live vicariously through you. Safe travels my dear friends....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Carmen! I look forward to reading more... ready, in deed. :)

    ReplyDelete