Monday, November 14, 2011

A job!

Well, no more bad dreams thankfully! And today I started a job which is a blessing for sure. But let me get all caught up again.
Last week was pretty quiet. After our day in Glasgow the rest of the week went by really quickly. Brandon started work on Wednesday and so far that’s going really well. They make nearly everything in house and the baking is extraordinary. I went down on Thursday afternoon to pick meet Brandon when his shift was done and had a scone with butter and jam and if it’s possible to fall in love with a baked piece of dough with raisins in it, I did. He brought home some day-old scones last night and they were lovely for breakfast this morning. The owner/chef likes to take care of his employees and they often cook and eat a meal together during the day.
I went to my second band practice with the City of Edinburgh Pipe Band on Wednesday night and as far as I can tell, I’ve joined the band. I’ve not really been asked or told that they want me to join, but I’ve been given sheet music and they took down all my contact details so I guess that’s a good sign! Their style is a little different than what I’m used to but the people in the midsection are really nice. I don’t have my drum sticks yet (they’re still in the box that’s on its way to us, which is still somewhere on the Atlantic) so practicing is rather difficult. But I guess my hands on a table will suffice for now. This definitely isn’t something I planned on, though I thought maybe I’d take lessons or something. I didn’t think I’d actually join a band. Truthfully I feel a little guilty…like I’m cheating on the Highlanders. Then again, I have to admit that the thought of getting to actually play in the World Pipe Band Championship next August instead of just watching it is pretty darn fantastic.
Wednesday is also the day I found out I got the job at Paperchase. Something to do with all that prayer at the Cathedral on Tuesday? Maybe!
Brandon went to his band practice on Thursday night, and then on Friday he started work later in the day so we went down to the City Chambers building to observe the moment of silence in front of the monument they have there. It wasn’t a huge ceremony; Armistice Day is actually celebrated more fully on the Sunday following the 11th. But we had breakfast, took the bus back home and called Virgin Media for the second time to see why our internet, tv and phone services weren’t working. (It took four phone calls and three days to get the internet back up and we’re still waiting for all the tv channels to come back.)
On Saturday Brandon had the day off so we made our way to Craigmillar Castle. It’s here in Edinburgh but it seems to be not so well known. Jesse and Katie told us this was a must and I’m glad we listened. It’s mostly a ruin but it’s still very accessible even though the floor seems to be missing on the upper levels in many areas. This was a dream place to visit for Brandon because he rather hates being told he can’t go through certain doors or down passageways in the more modern and popular touristy places. We started our visit with a hike through the park, up a large hill from the Royal Infirmary. We didn’t realize this was going to give us some of the best views of the castle but we were awfully happy we ended up there. Brandon humoured me while I took photo after photo and eventually we made our way around to the front entrance. We wandered, looking at room after room for a couple of hours getting lost and found again in the maze of hallways and staircases. And eventually we found our way all the way up to the top and then back down to the bottom again. But I think the best part was the front door and the trees that were growing on either side of it inside the courtyard. We’re going to go back there so Brandon can bring his pipes and I can take photos of him playing in such a perfect location.







Yesterday Brandon worked a split shift so I met him at the restaurant for coffee for about an hour and a half. I had planned to get up and go to a Remembrance ceremony, but when I woke up just after 9 and decided to close my eyes for just five more minutes, I woke up again at about 11:15. Which was really too bad because it looked pretty great on tv.
And that gets us caught up to today. I started my first Edinburgh job at 10 this morning. It’s a Christmas temporary position at a store that I absolutely love. There’s a little bit of everything there – stationery, art supplies, albums, pens, diaries, calendars, purses, coffee mugs, Christmas décor, greeting cards, party supplies and all sorts of other things. It’s only an eight hour per week shift and it doesn’t pay all that well, but at least it’s a start. And once December rolls around I can sign up for overtime hours which will help out too. I’ve never worked in a retail position like this before but I don’t think it’ll be too tough. I’m mostly worried about working on the tills when it gets really busy. Tomorrow I go back from 10 till 2 again and will actually do some work. If nothing else, I’ll get to know the products and make Brandon a list of Christmas presents to buy me!
Tonight Brandon’s working the closing shift so I’m home alone again. Much like back in Calgary, it’s a little difficult to find cheap evening entertainment. A good number of the museums and galleries are free to visit, but they close at 5pm which is frustrating. Brandon’s off on Wednesday and Thursday so maybe we’ll find something to do before we have to go to our respective band practices. Like Christmas shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment